Gabrielle Lis | The results of a Monash University study assessing the results of participation in the Global Corporate Challenge (GCC) are in: employee wellbeing improves when employers invest.
Only 5% of the Australian workforce gets the recommended daily levels of fruit, veggies and exercise, according to an ongoing Monash University study. While the other 95% aren’t necessarily ticking time bombs of disease and illness, the statistic does highlight the fact that we’re not doing enough to look after ourselves, or each other, which could have disturbing consequences for our long term health. more >>
Damien Amsuss | The injured worker needs and deserves it.
About the webinar: After an athlete suffers an injury they follow a course of physical re-conditioning that commences with rehabilitation activities at the site of injury, transitions to sport-specific drills and culminates in a return to competition. This is to ensure that the athlete returns in the most timely, but also safest, manner. Why should returning to work following workplace injury be any different? This webinar explores the efficacy of exercise-based work conditioning programmes and seeks to identify some of the best-practice principles that an exercise provider will employ in an affort to achieve a desirable return to work outcome. more >>
Mary Harris | After foot surgery, rehab professional Mary Harris gains first hand insight into how co-workers can quickly become impatient when a colleague returns to work on modified duties.
I had foot surgery a while ago and it left me somewhat dependent on others for help. At first, the assistance was provided with a smile and an urging to let them know if they could do anything else to help. However, as time went on, the smiles became tight lips and the offers of help became heavy sighs. My caregivers weren’t the only ones feeling the pain. For an independent person such as myself, the discomfort of being in a position of dependency was far more excruciating than the surgical pain. more >>
Lara Forth | Lara (not her real name) recovers from brain trauma but eventually quits her job and abandons her claim. Why?
When I was 25 I worked full time as a picture framer. On the way to work I was involved in a five car pile-up. My vehicle was hit in the front and the rear. I sustained whiplash and smacked my head hard on the front shelf, where the visor and rear view mirror are located. A hot coffee in the drink holder erupted all over me and the inside of the car and the whole front of my vehicle was smashed in. more >>
UK Comedian Ricky Gervaise is just one of thousands to support an Australian campaign to start conversations about suicide and men's mental health. The initiative asks men to post selfies on social media with the tag #ItsOKToTalk. Rugby player Luke Ambler developed the idea after the sudden death of his brother-in-law. Suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians aged between 15 to 44 years, according to the latest information from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, and around three quarters of suicide fatalities in 2014 were men. Of the 2,864 Australians who took their own lives in 2014, three-quarters were men.
The Office Olympics were held in Canada last week, with employees at the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans competing in events including chair rowing, cardboard 'boxing' and 'wasketball'. “In order for team morale to be high and to have honest communication, team building is critical - it’s not only good for the organisation, but also for the employee and their overall well-being. If we get through challenges and difficulties together, that’s critical for a place and makes things a little bit less stressful,” said Office Olympics representative Julie Stich.
WorkCover NSW has released new guidelines for claiming workers' compensation, combining and replacing the old guildelines for claims, work capacity, work capacity reviews and domestic assistance. For access to a prerecorded webinar explaining the changes, follow the link above.
The Queensland government will set up a parliamentary review into a resurgance of black lung amongst the state's coal miners. Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls called instead for a royal commission into the issue, pointing to union criticism of the Labor government as evidence of serious "underlying concerns". However, Labor backbencher Jo-Ann Miller promised that if the parliamentary review did not deliver answers she would call for a royal commission herself, after an emotional contribution to the debate that focused on the impact of black lung on her own family.